Institute Mihajlo Pupin
1946 is the year of founding of the Institute ”Mihajlo Pupin”. The Serbian Academy of Sciences (SAS) founds two institutes: the Institute of Telecommunications and the Institute of Electronics. From the staff of these two institutes the government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia (FPRY) formed the Central Radio-institute of the government of the FPRY in 1947 and later in 1948 the ministry of energy founds the Institute of Energy.
The Serbian Academy of Sciences (SAS) unites these four institutes in 1950 into the Institute ”Nikola Tesla” for studying electric phenomena. The executive council of the assembly of the People’s Republic of Serbia in 1959 selects a group of scientists and researchers to found the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications ”Mihajlo Pupin”. This is when the name of our great scientist Mihajlo Pupin appears for the first time as the name for the institute. The executive council of the assembly of the People’s Republic of Serbia and cofounders: the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Ei Niš, and Energoprojekt in 1961 take two laboratories from the Institute of Nuclear Sciences ”Boris Kidrič”: the Laboratory for automatics and the Laboratory for digital technology. The two laboratories were incorporated in the Institute of Automatics and Telecommunications ”Mihajlo Pupin” and a fundamental reorganization was carried out.
In the time span from 1961 to 1998 the Institute ”Mihajlo Pupin” saw some organizational changes from being an Organization of associated labor (1974) with eight organizational units, a unique Work organization with eight work units (1980), through being an Organization for scientific research (1989), then a shareholding company (1990), Social enterprise (1995), Social enterprise for scientific research Institute ”Mihajlo Pupin” (1998), to present Limited liability company which makes a system of one main and five subordinate companies.
However, regardless of its legal status the ”Mihajlo Pupin” institute is an entirely market-oriented company whose survival on the market depends on what of its scientific research can be turned into projects and products (alone or with its co-operators) that can be distributed on domestic or international market.
That is why the Institute has been developing both as an institution for scientific research and as a high-tech company.
Since its founding the institute has been the leader in the region and in some cases the world leader in the introduction of new technologies.